Saturday, September 15, 2012

The 3 Types of IBS

The 3 Types of IBS


How I stumbled across an effective treatment for IBS.For 12 years I looked everywhere trying to develop a solid treatment plan for IBS.I wanted a protocol for IBS for the individual, including information on how to remain healthy, without ongoing restrictive diets and pills.My name is Christopher Eddy.I am currently in pharmaceutical science and registered as doctor of Chinese Medicine.I have worked in hospitals and clinical practice in Australia and China for the last 10 years as a doctor of Chinese medicine.Beyond this, I suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) for 15 years.That is I suffered for 15 years up until 2 years ago.I went to countless practitioners.I once counted I spent around $7,000 (AUS) over 10 years and used around 25 practitioners; I was told my problem was emotional, physical, spiritual, viral, bacterial, structural, energetic, yin, yang and so on.In the end I DIDN'T CARE! I just wanted to feel better!! For years I pulled my hair out, studying western science, eastern science.Searching for answers.2 years ago I met a doctor who fixed at least half my IBS problem which set a cascade of discoveries and VOULA! Finally! Over the next 2 years I had gathered a treatment structure that worked on me and 90-95% of my patients and helped them stay well 75-99% of the time! I was ecstatic!!I want to share with you a brief outline of what I came across that worked for me and many of my patients.It is not my discovery, I cannot take credit.Merely I have put together what genius others have found before me into an easy to follow structure.So why do we need a systematic protocol? To do things step-by-step in the right order so we can eliminate what didn't work and if so, where to go next.As a practitioner, I found that no one person can be treated exactly the same.That's why there can never be one 'magic silver bullet' for IBS.It's impossible!Also we can't just individually blame drugs, vaccinations, emotions, pain killers, hormones, GM foods, Flouride in water, ultra cleanliness etc.Some, maybe all of them have something to do with your problems, and often one thing leads to the other.But let's be a scientist, let's learn to be our own health detective, finding out how mental, emotional and physical aspects as well as your external environment impacts on your body and digestion.There are three 'streams'.I have divided IBS types into three main groups.That is, when a patient comes into my clinic, they usually fall into one of three streams and then we go from there.Stream 1.Stream 1 is relevant to about 10% of the patients that come through my door.It is suited to people that have irritable bowel issues, but they also have chronic skin problems, and/or headaches, and/or sinusitis and/or hayfever.It generally looks at at factors that may have started with bacterial IBS, but have then led to 'food chemical intolerances'.These patients usually need to go on a reduced food chemical diet for some months, while using probiotics and gut repair protocols.Stream 2.Stream 2 is relevant to about 5% of patients that I see in the clinic.This is for people that have irritable bowel issues most likely caused by a parasite.These parasites are commonly D Fragilis and B Hominis, among others.Patients will commonly present with itchy anus and fever.However, these symptoms are not evident in every single case.If your digestive system began while traveling overseas or working in dirt, it is worthwhile to get a good stool parasite test first.These patients need to get the right type of test first, there are many inaccurate parasite stool tests around.Then go on a strong 3 drug antiparasitic course, then start gut repair.Stream 3.This is where around 75% of my IBS patients fit in.Standard bowel issues, not complicated by anything else.From here I recommend the Fecal Microbial Assay test (FMA).This will tell us if you have small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), which I find in 80% of patients in this stream.Not everyone has access to this test and it can be quite expensive.Therefore the other option here is to go straight to the FODMAP diet restriction, skipping the FMA.Following this, usually specific probiotics are used and gut repair for the following 3-4 months.If you are interested in reading further, please read my other IBS articles at ezine or my page IBSpro.Yours in health,.Chris Eddy.

The 3 Types of IBS



0 comments:

Post a Comment